[ppml] Policy Proposal: IPv6 Assignment Guidelines

Leo Bicknell bicknell at ufp.org
Thu Aug 23 10:52:22 EDT 2007

In a message written on Thu, Aug 23, 2007 at 10:24:43AM -0400, Edward Lewis wrote:
> "Assignments by LIRs no larger than /48 will not be reviewed by ARIN.
> Assignments greater than /48 will be reviewed to see if the
> additional space is warranted according to the 0.94 HD ratio policy.
> If the space is not warranted, ARIN will consider the excess space to
> be available for a different assignment, lowering the overall
> utilization score of the LIR."

I find the paragraph above to be identical in result to my straw
man #2 proposal.  I would not object to using this language;
particularly if it results in more consensus.

> We should allow an LIR to be able to hold some /48's in reserve to
> accommodate expansion when they feel a particular customer might
> grow.  (I am not assuming that LIR == ISP.)  We want to leave that to
> the LIR as they better know the user of the space than ARIN.  Such
> reserves will have to be subjectively accepted by ARIN staff when
> calculating the HD ration.  I want to leave that to the discretion of
> the staff.

I believe regardless of the size of allocation from LIR -> End Site
the HD Ratio allows the LIR to hold some /48's in reserve.  I
personally belive the two issues are completely unrelated.