[ppml] Policy Proposal: Decreasing Exponential Rationing of IPv4 IP Addresses

James Hess mysidia at gmail.com
Wed Aug 22 22:01:48 EDT 2007

> So small amounts of IPv4 address space will remain available in some
> form for years to come, the "running out" moment is the point where
> the largest requests, done but the world's largest ISPs, can no
> longer be fullfilled.

I wouldn't count on "automatic rationing"

I think it may be the case that when the large blocks run out; the
world's largest ISPs
may restructure their requests, essentially to attempt to request the largest
possible "smaller block" that can still be available for allocation.

In other words, they would rather ask for some additional smaller blocks than
ask for the humongous block and get nothing, so whatever remains is potentially
consumed very quickly.

I would think the world's largest ISPs would be capable of hiring the
proper researchers
to do the math and find the best way to get as much of the remaining
additional IP
space as possible.

However, maybe at the same time they would be researching getting their stuff
cut over to IPv6 or some form of NAT/PAT setup to conserve V4 addressing.

--
-J