[ppml] IPv6 Assignment Guidelines, Straw Man #2

Leo Bicknell bicknell at ufp.org
Mon Aug 20 19:00:50 EDT 2007

In a message written on Mon, Aug 20, 2007 at 04:02:00PM -0500, Stephen Sprunk wrote:
> ... and most ARIN members don't have that many customers.  Those that do
> mainly provide residential service and will be handing out /56's at most to
> those customers, giving them just shy of 17M assignments before they need
> more space.  I'd expect those folks are smart enough to ask for larger
> allocations up front to save hassle later.

You mean, like these smart folks...

inet6num:       2003::/19
netname:        DE-TELEKOM-20050113
descr:          Deutsche Telekom AG
country:        DE

inet6num:       2a01:c000::/19
netname:        FR-TELECOM-20051230
descr:          France Telecom
country:        FR

For the record, a /19 is 536,870,912 /48 assignments. There's 64
million people in France, 83 million in Germany.  All of those
people could get 5 /48's FROM BOTH PROVIDERS (10 total) with that
much space.