[ppml] IPv6 Assignment Guidelines, Straw Man #2

Stephen Sprunk stephen at sprunk.org
Mon Aug 20 17:02:00 EDT 2007

Thus spake "David Conrad" <drc at virtualized.org>
> On Aug 20, 2007, at 11:18 AM, <michael.dillon at bt.com>
> <michael.dillon at bt.com> wrote:
>> IPv6 ISPs don't need to be particularly efficient in
>> assigning/allocating IPv6 subnets and most of them will never
>> need to ask for more space.
>
> I'm not sure why you say this.
>
> If you assign /48s to customers and ISPs are given /32s by default,
> you can have a maximum of 64K customers.

... and most ARIN members don't have that many customers.  Those that do
mainly provide residential service and will be handing out /56's at most to
those customers, giving them just shy of 17M assignments before they need
more space.  I'd expect those folks are smart enough to ask for larger
allocations up front to save hassle later.

Honestly, I expect that the Ma Bell and Ma Cable duopoly will converge on
putting a few hundred customers on a shared /64, similar to what they do
with v4.  I'll consider it a minor miracle if I can get a /64 via DHCP PD
for the inside of my firewall without having to upgrade to "business"
service (and the corresponding monthly rates).  With a design like that, a
/32 per ISP is plenty.