[ppml] IPv6 Assignment Guidelines, Straw Man #2

Stephen Sprunk stephen at sprunk.org
Mon Aug 20 15:27:07 EDT 2007

Thus spake "Brian Dickson" <briand at ca.afilias.info>
> Allow me to express my opinion clearly, then, up front, so you include
> it in your summary.
>
> I don't believe any LIRs should be given more than one PI block from
> which to allocate PA space.  And, as such, this has two
> requirements to be a reasonable suggestion:
>
>    * LIRs should be free to request PI space (the one block they
>      get) that meets their forseeable needs (10 years at least).
>    * LIRs should be free to assign PA space from their PI block
>      as they see fit, with no further oversight needed
>
> ARIN staff should never need to evaluate anything other than
> initial IPv6 requests, and should be extremely lenient in
> allocating those. Any justification that passes the giggle test,
> should be fine.
>
> There is no need for any metric, HD or otherwise. The restriction
> of one new IPv6 block per ASN will keep the DFZ small, the rate
> of growth limited, and will encourage sensible PA assignment
> policies.
>
> If an LIR gives away all its space, that is its problem to deal with.
> It should be reasonable to expect it to claw-back some of its
> space in such an instance.  But having the LIR recognize that
> the resource allocated to *it* is extremely finite, pushes the
> problem out of the DFZ space.

The problem I see with that is LIRs would be motivated to make as big a
land-grab as possible, and ARIN would have no metrics at its disposal to say
no -- certainly not the unquantifiable "giggle test".  What if Comcast,
AT&T, Verizon, Cox, etc. said they planned on giving a /32 to every customer
and thus they needed a /3 each?  What tools have you given ARIN staff to say
that's unjustified?

This is not implementable.  Leo's idea, while it may not be perfect, is.  We
need to give clear rules to staff so that they know whether to approve or
deny requests and they have solid documentation to point to when doing so,
or we'll end up back in the same boat we're in today where ARIN approves
everything because we haven't given them any guidance on when they shouldn't
(or, if ARIN turns evil in the future, denying everything for the same
reason).