[ppml] Policy Proposal: IPv6 Assignment Guidelines

David Conrad drc at virtualized.org
Sat Aug 18 18:10:07 EDT 2007

Leo,

On Aug 18, 2007, at 11:26 AM, Leo Bicknell wrote:
> Do you have an opinion on if ISP's should be always giving out /48's
> to every customer, even if they have a single PC?

Given the IETF mandate for /64s for subnets, number of PCs is
irrelevant.  I don't have a strong opinion about /48s to every
customer as I can see arguments on both sides.  It would be easier
for everybody and (assuming RIR to ISP allocations become more
rational) I don't have concerns about running out of /48s.  However,
pragmatically speaking, I also don't see home users ever subnetting
to a significant level, so it doesn't make a lot of sense to me to
throw a potential of 64K subnets at them.  As such the "/56 for home
users - /48 for enterperise" split seems a reasonable compromise.

> Are you comfortable with ARIN staff
> only having a "guideline" to go on, or would you rather they, and the
> community have a firm criteria in the policy manual?

I am and always have been strongly in favor of firm criteria.

Regards,
-drc