[ppml] Policy Proposal: Expand timeframe of Additional Requests

Leo Vegoda leo.vegoda at icann.org
Fri Aug 17 05:18:10 EDT 2007

On 17 Aug 2007, at 03:03, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:

[...]

> But I just cannnot see how you could make such a thing happen for
> IPv4 sales without running afoul of a lot of policy and assumptions
> that people have made so far.  The utilization requirements for
> one thing - how can a hoarder operate without having a large stockpile
> of unused numbers, and how can they get this without lying - unless
> they were a legacy holder - in which case the legacy holders sell
> off their holdings and ARIN forces the "buyers" to sign an RSA and
> meat utilization requirements, or
> the legacy holders attempt to "rent" the IP's out while not changing
> the whois data - which ruins whois, and thus provides incentives for
> the community to just drop recording of legacy IPv4 blocks in the
> public records.

You're assuming that they wouldn't want to change the data in whois
to show that their 'tenant' is responsible for the network in
question. As long as the 'freeholder' can reclaim the space when the
rent isn't paid there isn't a problem for them and they may well want
to update ARIN's whois server or their own rwhois server.

Regards,

Leo Vegoda