[ppml] Policy Proposal: Expand timeframe of Additional Requests

Stephen Sprunk stephen at sprunk.org
Wed Aug 15 19:23:35 EDT 2007

Thus spake "Lee Dilkie" <Lee at Dilkie.com>
> Stephen Sprunk wrote:
>> If ARIN charged $0.268/yr/IP, just for the 26 /8s that show up as
>> "ARIN" in IANA's list, that'd be enough to cover ARIN's current
>> budget.
>
> unless my math is wrong, I get somewhere in the order of $0.0229 or a
> tad over 2 cents/ip/yr to cover the current $10M budget.

I must have fat-fingered something with the calculator; $0.0229 is what I'm
getting now as well.

> But your point is a good one. And 2 cents/ip isn't a bad number,
> the entire internet would generate $85M/yr for all the RiR's (well,
> it'd be a bit less due to loss of some non-valid space). And my
> legacy /24 would cost me $5.12/yr. At that, I'd easily consider a
> membership.

Well, there does need to be a certain minimum per org to cover billing,
contracts, meetings, etc. which are fixed costs regardless how much space
the org has.  That doesn't need to be particularly large, but I think the
current $100/yr for end-users seems reasonable; a /20 would be $93.90/yr at
the above rate, so it'd be a wash for most small orgs anyways -- and
certainly better than the $2,250/yr they pay now.

Stephen Sprunk      "Those people who think they know everything
CCIE #3723         are a great annoyance to those of us who do."
K5SSS                                             --Isaac Asimov