[ppml] Policy Proposal: IPv4 Soft Landing (version 2.0)

David Conrad drc at virtualized.org
Tue Aug 14 20:28:19 EDT 2007

William,

On Aug 14, 2007, at 3:18 PM, William Herrin wrote:
> I'd like to see implementation contingent on the acceptance of
> "substantially identical" policies at the other registries. Otherwise
> it would only serve to disadvantage the ARIN region during the
> endgame.

I'd be distressed if the RIRs entered into a 5-way Prisoner's Dilemma
game in their handling of the IPv4 free pool exhaustion.  I'm in the
process of preparing something like Soft Landing for the APNIC public
policy process (and will do something similar in the other RIRs), but
one of the reasons I'm not couching this in terms of a 'global
policy' is because I don't think it needs to be identical across the
various regions.  If it does, then I'm not sure I understand the need
for multiple RIRs...

> Other than that, I think this is a great idea and I hope it passes.

Thanks!

Regards,
-drc