[ppml] Policy Proposal: IPv4 Soft Landing (version 2.0)

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at ipinc.net
Tue Aug 14 19:06:49 EDT 2007

That is setting up a catch-22 since the other registries could rightly
say they will only implement it if ARIN does it first.

The proper way to accomplish this (IMHO) is to pass the proposal then
in 2 years if none of the other registries step up to bat, then
pass another proposal that rolls everything back.  Or if you don't
trust the community to do this, then add an automatic rollback clause
to the proposal that revokes the clauses if no other registry follows
suit.

However, I really don't think this will disadvantage the ARIN region.
IPv4 runout is coming no matter what and like your typical Ebay auction
we won't see much activity for IPv4 requests until the last minute,
thus we won't know how ARIN is doing relative to the other regions,
and there won't be enough time then to change policy to affect runout
in ARIN one way or another in response to what is happening.

Ted