[ppml] too many variables

Christopher Morrow christopher.morrow at gmail.com
Sun Aug 12 00:28:31 EDT 2007

On 8/10/07, Leo Bicknell <bicknell at ufp.org> wrote:

> But I think the point still stands, I bet Vendor J in particular
> could pop out a Core 2 Duo based RP with 8 gig of ram and a 300+
> gig hard drive in under 6 months while holding the price point if
> BGP convergence demanded it, and their customers made it a priority.

This does still presume that the problem is resolved with just more
ram and cpu cycles on the 'RP'... note that the FIB isn't held in RAM
in larger gear and clock cycles on existing gear may already be faster
than the pathway from RIB to FIB.

I think Vijay was getting at this, and PaulV's aiming at that later on
in this discussion (combinatorial effects)... Putting a really large
engine in a ford festiva may make lots of horsepower, but you still
can't take the clown brigade to the movies in it (not easily atleast).