[ppml] too many variables

Leo Bicknell bicknell at ufp.org
Fri Aug 10 12:36:50 EDT 2007

In a message written on Thu, Aug 09, 2007 at 04:21:37PM +0000, bmanning at vacation.karoshi.com wrote:
> (1) there are technology factors we can't predict, e.g.,
>         moore's law effects on hardware development

Some of that is predictable though.  I'm sitting here looking at a
heavily peered exchange point router with a rather large FIB.  It
has in it a Pentium III 700Mhz processor.  Per Wikipedia
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pentium_III) it appears they were
released in late 1999 to early 2000.  This box is solidly two,
perhaps three, and maybe even 4 doublings behind things that are
already available at your local best buy off the shelf.

Heck, this chip is slower than the original Xbox chip, a $400
obsolete game console.