[ppml] too many variables

bmanning at vacation.karoshi.com bmanning at vacation.karoshi.com
Thu Aug 9 12:21:37 EDT 2007

 I asked this question to a couple of folks:

	"at the current churn rate/ration, at what size doe the FIB need to
         be before it will not converge?"

 and got these answers:

--------- jabber log ---------
a fine question, has been asked many times, and afaik noone has
provided any empirically grounded answer.

a few realities hinder our ability to answer this question.

(1) there are technology factors we can't predict, e.g.,
        moore's law effects on hardware development
(2) there are economics and policy and social factors we
        can't predict, e.g., how much convegence-capable
        hardware will providers/vendors be able to afford,
        how those costs will affect consumer prices,
        how that will affect consumer uptake, network
        growth, and industry dynamics, how regulation affects
        all of the above
(3) We Don't Have Any Data from providers on the dynamics of BGP
        and IGP interactions, much less network wide convergence,
        so the research community can't provide any empirically
        grounded input into an answer

{elided}
&