[ppml] alternative realities

Michel Py michel at arneill-py.sacramento.ca.us
Tue Aug 7 21:47:52 EDT 2007

> Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:
> I don't think this is double-nat

Double NAT it is. AT&T hands me a single 10.net address which obviously
is natted to get out to the public Internet, and I hand clients 192.168
addresses which are natted to the 10.net address.

> (unless your considering the Belkin which should have been
> replaced with an access point.

The Belkin is used as an access point. A WiFi router is half the money
of an access point and does exactly the same if you don't plug anything
on the WAN port.

> - what kind of network person are you, you knew that Internet
> Sharing is nat already and you bought a wifi router?

I'm the kind of person who was not born wealthy and does not have
unlimited amounts of taxpayer's or customer's money to waste by buying
an access point for twice as much as a router. The laptop used for that
is an old clunker without Wifi,

You must be in marketing; removing the NAT part of a router, calling it
an access point and selling it for twice as much when there's half of
the goods in it.

Michel.