[ppml] On proposing ARIN policy - was RE: More on Kremen/Cohen

Bill Darte BillD at cait.wustl.edu
Tue Aug 7 09:36:06 EDT 2007

Of course everyone is encouraged to become involved with the ARIN public
policy process and likewise everyone is encouraged to consider policy
changes or additions that they think would improve their lot or the lot
of the industry at large.

I do suggest however that the ppml is the place to 'test' the reception
that a policy proposal is likely to receive from the industry at large.
It is, of course, industry consensus that is needed to move a proposal
to the Board of Trustees for ratification.

Making a formal proposal at the link provided by Stephen below, when a
proposal first comes to mind will cause the Internet Resource Policy
Evaluation Process (IRPEP  http://www.arin.net/policy/irpep.html) to
formally engage.  Advisory Council members are then assigned to
'shepherd' these proposals through the IRPEP. Engaging the formal
process is always available, but may not be in the best interest of the
proposal author(s).

If ideas are first introduced on the ppml then those ideas that receive
significant negative feedback and/or constructive criticism on the ppml
can be re-evaluated and insight might be gained on how to best craft a
proposal for submission to ARIN and thus stand the best chance of being
understandable, incorporate improvements proposed by a broader group,
and be well-received by the industry.

I encourage people with 'ideas' to submit them to the ppml and I
encourage participants on the ppml to always give fair consideration to
these ideas, offer constructive advice, and state clearly whether you
are FOR or AGAINST these ideas.

Thanks,

Bill Darte
ARIN Advisory Council