[ppml] APNIC policy proposal to create a regulated market in IPv4 addresses

Scott Leibrand sleibrand at internap.com
Mon Aug 6 12:29:27 EDT 2007

Paul Vixie wrote:
>>> Also, does anyone believe ISPs are going to remove the filters that
>>> implicitly limit the length of a usable (for the purposes of highest
>>> likelihood of global routability) IPv4 prefix to a /24?  If so, why?
>>>
>> I hope not, and if subdivision/deaggregation gets bad enough we will see
>> filters tighten.  In a worst case scenario we filter at /20 across
>> the board  and anyone using longer prefix gets to move.
>>

> what would you have f.root-servers.org do in that case?  our IPv4 address
> is in a /24, and our IPv6 address is in a /48.  even apart from the question
> of how long it takes to renumber a root name server, where would you like us
> to move?  we have other address blocks but those other blocks aren't anycast.

For that and many other reasons, it would make much more sense (in the
worst case scenario) for everyone to filter according to the minimum
allocation size for each IPv4 /8, as published by the RIRs (i.e.
http://www.arin.net/reference/ip_blocks.html and
http://www.apnic.net/db/min-alloc.html).

-Scott