[ppml] APNIC policy proposal to create a regulated market in IPv4 addresses

Iljitsch van Beijnum iljitsch at muada.com
Sat Aug 4 18:40:04 EDT 2007

On 5-aug-2007, at 0:24, Scott Leibrand wrote:

> Take a look at the policy proposal.  There's a 24-month waiting
> period for people who sell addresses.

I think this is a bad proposal. The legitimate needs that this
proposal wants to serve can more easily be accommodated as follows:

1. The prospective new holder of the addresses requests address space
under the regular rules
2. The prospective new holder is granted a certain amount of address
space
3. The prospective new holder asks to receive the amount of address
space granted in the form of the address blocks in question
4. RIR asks old holder if they're willing to give up the address
space under the condition that it will be assigned to the prospective
new holder
5. If no, nothing
6. If yes, addresses go back to RIR, RIR gives them to new holder

This would allow a market to form once IPv4 address space is
depleted, but not before. But the important difference is that in all
cases, the new holder is subject to the current rules. I.e., you
can't transfer a legacy /16 to an organization that only needs a /24.
(Which of course sucks if you want the transfer because you have a
server on 172.31.0.1 and another on 172.31.255.254 without anything
in the middle, but hey, sometimes life sucks.)