[ppml] APNIC policy proposal to create a regulated market in IPv4 addresses

David Conrad drc at virtualized.org
Sat Aug 4 16:51:39 EDT 2007

On Aug 4, 2007, at 12:05 PM, Scott Leibrand wrote:

> Bill Woodcock wrote:
>>       On Sat, 4 Aug 2007, Scott Leibrand wrote:
>>> A policy proposal currently being discussed by APNIC's PPML
>>> equivalent (sig-policy) would create a regulated market in IPv4
>>> addresses.
>>
>> Uh, actually an _unregulated_ market, which is the bone of
>> contention.
>>
>>     " ...proposal to _remove_ APNIC policy restrictions on the
>>          transfer of registration of IPv4 address allocations... "
>>

> The regulation I'm referring to are the conditions on the IPv4 address
> block and on the source and recipients of the transfer.  I agree that
> the proposed regulation is rather weak, and is *much* weaker than
> present regulations on address transfer.

I would be curious to know real world experiences of folks who
exercise section 8 of the NPRM.

Also, does anyone believe ISPs are going to remove the filters that
implicitly limit the length of a usable (for the purposes of highest
likelihood of global routability) IPv4 prefix to a /24?  If so, why?

Rgds,
-drc