[ppml] Policy Proposal 2007-6 (was Re: More on Kremen/Cohen)

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Sat Aug 4 01:15:39 EDT 2007

On Aug 3, 2007, at 5:14 PM, bill fumerola wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 03, 2007 at 11:24:12AM -0700, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:
>> So, did counsel ever comment on any past "shoot spammers dead on
>> sight"
>> proposals?  There had to have been at least one! :-)
>
> while counsel hasn't, the ARIN staff[1] and AC[2] have shot down a
> proposal - dead on sight - that changes the size of minimum
> allocation,
> using spammers as a scapegoat.

I do not believe that ARIN staff shot down the proposal.  I do
believe that they
expressed concerns about the proposal, some of which were specious in my
opinion, but, nonetheless, I do not believe staff killed this proposal.

While I did support the proposal, I honestly believe that the AC,
faced with
a 50/50 split in the room and a relatively even split argument on the
mailing
list leading up to the meeting did not have any way to consider that
there
was consensus.  I do believe that the AC should have opted to work with
the author on a redraft addressing the concerns expressed, and, I
believe
that we will eventually see a proposal which addresses these needs and
these concerns in the future.  Such a proposal may be limited to IPv6,
however, by the time it sees the light of day.  I do hope it comes
sooner.