[ppml] alternative realities (was PIv6 for legacy, holders (/wRSA + efficient use))

Cliff Bedore cliffb at cjbsys.bdb.com
Thu Aug 2 13:37:22 EDT 2007

With regards to MIT and or/other /8s that are "privately held", is the
internet better off getting those turned in and split up which adds to
the routing table or letting the private holder become a default
ISP/mini IANA/ARIN in effect with a /8 aggregated address and keep the
table smaller?  I realize that's not in keeping with current policy but
would it make sense (other than to grow MIT's endowment fund)?  I would
think other companies who got legacy /8s would be even more inclined to
go this route since ARIN's control of the address space would certainly
be in question.  If the number of $65M is anywhere near correct, a
company would be well advised to start thinking about this and get the
lawyers up to speed.

Cliff