[ppml] alternative realities (was PIv6 for legacy holders (/wRSA + efficient use))

Kevin Kargel kkargel at polartel.com
Thu Aug 2 09:37:53 EDT 2007

 On the topic of prefix filtering, don't forget that it will happen for
reasons other than being mean to deagregators.  As a case in point
currently the US Federal Government is forcing all ISP's to run some
sort of CALEA intercept program.  For many ISP's the best place to run
this is within the IOS on their routers.

The problem turns up that in many routers there is not enough memory to
run both the CALEA software and a full BGP table.  One method of dealing
with this is for the ISP to implement prefix filters to limit the size
of the BGP table and free up memory to allow the router to run the
mandated CALEA.

Granted there are other ways to reduce the BGP table, but prefix
filtering is perhaps the easiest, requiring just three lines of code in
the router config and very little thought.  /16 or maybe /19 are pretty
natural points to set a filter at.  Filtering to /16 will reduce a BGP
table from over 200K routes to under 2K routes.

Anyway, my point is that deaggregated routes will likely be hurt just
because some admins take other actions to make their networks more
efficient, with no thought to restricting networks for any purpose.  I'm
not saying this is good or a good way to do things, just that it will
happen.

Kevin

:$s/worry/happy/g