[ppml] alternative realities (was PIv6 for legacy holders (/w RSA + efficient use))

John Curran jcurran at istaff.org
Wed Aug 1 16:26:23 EDT 2007

At 8:44 AM -1000 8/1/07, Randy Bush wrote:
> > The question is whether liberalization or prevention of the practice
>> (and under what conditions) is the overall desire of the community.
>> There's certainly things that could be done in either direction, once
>> the desired goal is known.
>
>there is trade in address space now.  when arin runs out of iana free
>pool space, this trade will *seriously* accelerate.

If that's what the community desires, then let's get it done.  You seem
to see it as inevitable, which is my objection.  If the ISP community
doesn't want to proceed in that direction, then ARIN will hold the line
on the existing policies, and take the measures necessary.

>the question is only whether arin takes its head out of the 1990s and
>becomes title agent (rpki) to authenticate trading, or whether verisign,
>or whomever, takes that business away from arin.

ARIN doesn't need the "business"; ARIN's here to manage and help
conserve scarce Internet protocol resources, and to educate Internet
protocol users on how to efficiently utilize these scarce resources as a
service to the entire Internet community.

/John