[ppml] alternative realities (was PIv6 for legacy holders (/wRSA + efficient use))

Howard, W. Lee Lee.Howard at stanleyassociates.com
Wed Aug 1 16:25:21 EDT 2007

I could guess at whether you would co-author such an RFC today,
or I could ask you what you think, though you might have trouble
doffing your hat.

Are the goals enumerated in RFC2050 still supported by the
ARIN community?

   1) Conservation: Fair distribution of globally unique Internet
address
   space according to the operational needs of the end-users and
Internet
   Service Providers operating networks using this address space.
   Prevention of stockpiling in order to maximize the lifetime of the
   Internet address space.

   2) Routability: Distribution of globally unique Internet addresses
   in a hierarchical manner, permitting the routing scalability of
   the addresses. This scalability is necessary to ensure proper
   operation of Internet routing, although it must be stressed that
   routability is in no way guaranteed with the allocation or
   assignment of IPv4 addresses.

   3) Registration: Provision of a public registry documenting address
   space allocation and assignment.  This is necessary to ensure
   uniqueness and to provide information for Internet trouble shooting
   at all levels.

Lee