[ppml] alternative realities (was PIv6 for legacy holders (/w RSA + efficient use))

William Herrin arin-contact at dirtside.com
Wed Aug 1 09:22:49 EDT 2007

On 8/1/07, Paul Vixie <paul at vix.com> wrote:
> > So, from my perspective, it would seem the conditions are ripe for a market.
> > The question then becomes, why wouldn't a market form? I haven't been able
> > to come up with a convincing reason.
>
> because there are no goods or services.  ip addresses aren't property, [...]
> an offer to sell ip addresses or to sell the right to use them is, to me, an
> admission that one no longer needs to use those ip addresses [...] i
> would view an attempt to sell that right to use, as an abrogation of
> that right to use.
>
> but in all the assertions of a market's inevitability, and even among the
> excellent falsifications provided yesterday by william [H]errin, noone other
> than michael dillon has challenged the basic assertion that there are goods
> and/or services to be marketed.

Paul,

I wouldn't call it an assumption. There are at least two methods to
rent or sell IP addresses which function within the existing policy
and a probability of increasing pressure from the operators to
liberalize the policy itself.

I'll let the latter stand as an unsupported claim. For the former, the
two methods are:

1. The Ruse. Something other than IP addresses is leased but the
practical affect is to indefinitely lease the IP addresses, as in my
MIT message on the list yesterday.
2. The Container Sale. Instead of selling the IP addresses, you sell
the entity which holds the registration.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

--
William D. Herrin                  herrin at dirtside.com  bill at herrin.us