[ppml] Definition of "Existing Known ISP"

Edward Lewis Ed.Lewis at neustar.biz
Mon Apr 30 21:54:02 EDT 2007

Having been hyperactive this past week on the mailing list I waited
to jump in on this" - hoping to read a post with the same sentiment
that I have.

And I have.

At 18:19 -0400 4/30/07, Matt Pounsett wrote:

>I agree with much of what you're saying here and in the rest of your
>email, but I don't completely agree with where you end up.  All ASPs,
>web hosting companies, and colo providers are not ISPs in the sense
>that the term is used in the NRPM.  I think it's important to look at
>the intent of the policy in order to find a better definition for
>"ISP" or to find a different word to use.

Metoo.  We aren't trying to define what an ISP is, we are trying to
distinguish between organizations in the context of the policies of
ARIN.  So, the arguments that we all are ISPs are (arguably) right,
but what we really need is to distinguish between organizations
getting resources for themselves and organizations getting resources
for their "customers."

>model and should be classed as ISPs.  I think Steven Sprunk is on the
>right track, that we should perhaps be looking at using a new term
>(such as LIR) for these non-end-user organizations.  That would go a
>long way to helping clear up confusion.

At first I disagreed with the use of the term "LIR," but what Matt
adds on here makes me think that that might be the right thing to do.
Historically ARIN has used ISP and "the other" RIRs use LIR and I
always thought that it was just a terminology thing.  But it is true
- we aren't distinguishing between ISPs and ASPs, rather LIRs from
end-users of the resources.