[ppml] Policy Proposal 2007-6 - Abandoned

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Fri Apr 27 15:12:02 EDT 2007

> Yes, I believe this would lead to a run on IPv4 space
	Please provide any documentation you can to support this belief.
	Certainly, the equivalant policy in EVERY other RIR has not created
this problems in
		any other region, so, I'd like to see any data you have that
supports this belief.

> Yes, I believe network providers and ISP's can cut off and clean up
> IP space used by spammers faster than ARIN ( and I think that is
> important).
	Network providers can clean it up by de-routing it and adding it to
the bogon filters
		etc.  This can be done whether the space is a direct assignment
from ARIN or
		provider-assigned.

> Yes, I believe it is MUCH easier to fudge justification for a /24
> than a /22 and set yourself up for hording IP addresses and
> possibly using them on black-market in the future.
	Again, data to support this belief would be good.  I'm pretty
familiar with what it
		takes to justify a /22, and, I think it's pretty trivial if you're
willing to commit
		fraud either way.

> So again (sorry) I still don't support the proposal that no
> consensus was found for or one that like it in the near future.
	Yep... I expected that.  I'm also pretty sure that the vote in the
room was much
		closer than the vote in the AC meeting.  I believe there is more
opposition
		to this policy on the AC than in the community.

Now, as to your other comments:

Yes, in terms of ARIN participation, this policy is championed by a
small (but growing)
group of people active in ARIN.  One of the reasons for that is that
the majority of
organizations that would benefit from this policy are not present for
ARIN public
policy meetings.  For them, the network is a tool and not their core
business. As
such, it's kind of hard to justify the time, travel budget, etc.
Most of them depend on
outsource companies and people like me to do that for them.

While there's no provision for this fact in the public policy
process, I was actually
representing no less than 5 organizations with ARIN resources all of
who would
like to see this policy implemented.

In addition, I have at least 10 clients who would benefit from this
policy because
it would allow them to multihome without taking additional routing
slots and without
business risk of abrupt renumbering being required when their
provider goes
out of business.  These concerns are sufficiently important to at
least half of them
that they affect their SoX compliance.

Hopefully that places the need in some perspective.

Owen