[ppml] Policy Proposal 2007-1 - Last Call

Bill Woodcock woody at pch.net
Thu Apr 26 14:03:25 EDT 2007

Ed: Ask yourself what it is that ARIN knows that uniquely identifies a POC.  There may be many "Owen Delongs" in the world, but only one of them controls the owen at delong.com email account, and that's the identifier ARIN uses.  No other, because nothing else that ARIN knows about is necessarily unique.

Thus, in order to successfully spoof Owen's identity, you would need:

1) A private key identifying you as Owen Delong
2) A sufficiently convincing set of paths between the hostmaster key and your key to not arouse the suspicion of the hostmaster
3) The ability to intercept mail to owen at delong.com
4) The ability to prevent Owen himself from seeing the handshake email
5) The ability to keep Owen from suspecting that he's not receiving some of his mail

Of course the coincidence of all of those conditions is possible, as this is a world of infinite possibility.  But that's not interesting. What's interesting is that:

1) It's better than mail-from
2) It's good enough for the rest of the world
3) It passed unanimously.

We don't live in a theoretically perfect world. Denying ourselves the basic tools which make the rest of the world a better place, merely because we're unhappy that we can't somehow magically leap-frog into a perfect world, doesn't buy us anything.

                         -Bill

Please excuse the brevity of this message; I typed it on my pager. I could be more loquacious, but then I'd crash my car.