[ppml] 240/4

David Conrad drc at virtualized.org
Wed Apr 25 18:54:48 EDT 2007

Michel,

On Apr 24, 2007, at 9:49 PM, Michel Py wrote:
>> The cost of redesignating the class E address space seems very low,
> This is exaggerated; moderately low is the best you can hope; there
> are
> gazillions of lines of code that needs to be patched. Does not happen
> overnight.

Err, no.

The cost of redesignating class E space is the cost of writing an
RFC, IANA editing a file, and IANA publishing that file on IANA's web
site.  While the first bit may cost a bit of stomach lining and
sanity, I don't think anyone can call the cost anything but very low.

The cost of utilizing class E space will likely be significantly
higher.  However, if you judge the cost of utilization high, don't
use it.  That is, "Doctor, it hurts when I do this..."

Rgds,
-drc