[ppml] Buying time...

John Santos JOHN at egh.com
Wed Apr 25 17:28:37 EDT 2007

On Wed, 25 Apr 2007, Tony Hain wrote:

> [...]
[snip]

> > see
> > >
> > >There were no allocation mistakes as such. Applying current technology
> > and
> > >policy to historical events is not a useful exercise.
> >
> > Well, what exactly do you think that the invention of IPv6 -is-?  Seems
> > me nothing more than the application of current technology to a
> > historical
> > event - the invention of IPv4.
> >
> > IPv4 isn't big enough, so we solved it by inventing IPv6.
> >
> > IPv4 isn't being fairly allocated so we solve it by going back to the
> > people
> > with IPv4 they aren't using and taking it back.  If the IPv4 runout date
> > gets advanced, well then happy side effect for some people, eh?
>
> You claim to be concerned about lawsuits, but are completely oblivious to
> the problem that there is no consistent definition of 'using'. An
> organization that does not announce a /8 to public providers could well be
> announcing it to others to keep from having overlapping 1918 between a large
> private group, or because some set of the group has a public presence and
> needs to keep the routing sorted out.

That's exactly the situation I'm in with my little old pre-ARIN /24.

Where "large" is defined as "4" entities, mostly competitors of each
other, and some or all of whom may have similar arrangements with many
other entities, some or all of which are compititors with us.  The
fact that most or all of the involved entities are competitors means
none of them want to make changes at their own expense that make things
easier for the others, an real life example of the prisoners dilemma.
This is why it is necessary to have a neutral 3rd party, like ARIN,
administer the addresses, even though they aren't, for the most part,
public.  Especially when all the entities concerned already have ARIN
or pre-ARIN address blocks assigned to them.

--
John Santos
Evans Griffiths & Hart, Inc.