[ppml] Buying time...

Tony Hain alh-ietf at tndh.net
Wed Apr 25 14:12:58 EDT 2007

Jason Schiller wrote:
> Whatever remains non-IPv6 capable will have to be upgraded, and as IPv6
> generates no new revune there is not much of a return on investment.

For those cases it becomes a risk-avoidance justification:

How much are you willing to pay for IPv4 in the open market to add new
customers or services?

What will the price be in the open market for a resource that is not
considered property now, but even another part of Jason's organization gets
away with effectively leasing for ~ $1.33/day per address? Hotels typically
get ~ $5/day/address, and from what I hear globally, long term contracts
already average ~ $1/day/address. Prices for scarce resources don't go down
as they become harder to get ...

Tony