[ppml] Definition of "Existing Known ISP"

Michael Thomas - Mathbox mike at mathbox.com
Sun Apr 22 18:19:37 EDT 2007

Owen,

Allow me to revise my comment. I still believe the definition is too narrow.
The definition ought to include also anyone who has an assigned ASN. I have
had ASN 13775 since 1995. I personally consider $2500 for a /19 or /20
punitive. So, for years we ran with assigned IPv4 from upstream providers
and only recently received an initial IPv4 allocation.

Because private individuals or organizations with a proven need can be
allocated IPv4 space, the term "existing, known ISP" would be too narrow
also. ARIN should consider anyone with an IPv4 allocation, not just those
organizations that consider themselves ISP.

Michael Thomas