[ppml] Summary of Trial Balloons for Dealing with IPv4 AddressCountdown

Alexander, Daniel Daniel_Alexander at Cable.Comcast.com
Wed Apr 18 09:10:37 EDT 2007

I completely agree with your point. If my memory is correct, it is also
why 2003-13 was adopted, increasing the allocations from three to six
month projections. It's interesting though that the ARIN region is the
only one that allocates for six month projections, while all the other
RIR's make one and two year allocations. Maybe there is a proposal in
there for the fall meeting.

-----Original Message-----
From: Jason Schiller [mailto:schiller at uu.net]
Sent: Monday, April 16, 2007 5:35 PM
To: Alexander, Daniel
Cc: Iljitsch van Beijnum; ppml at arin.net
Subject: Re: [ppml] Summary of Trial Balloons for Dealing with IPv4
AddressCountdown

Dan,

I want to disagree with you on one point...

> The problem with a size restriction is that is doesn't change demand.
> It will only cause ISP to submit more applications, more often with
> the end result being the same. If you use a million IP for your
> customers in a year, the only difference between two applications in
> that year or a dozen, is the amount of administrative work that is
> done to process the apps.
>
> -Dan

There is another problem, the "end result" is not actually the same.
While the ISP may end up utilizing the the same amount of space in both
schemes, how it is used internally will be very different.

When the address space is given out in large blocks, the ISP can divide
up these blocks into reasonably sized pools for each of its internal
regions.  This allows for internal aggregation.

If instead smaller blocks are given out more frequently, then the
regional pools will be much smaller.  Each subsequent block will be
diviided into regional pools that will not be contiguous with the
previous regional pool.

This stacking of regional pools will lead to poor internal aggregation,
and thus bloat in the routing and forwarding tables.

__Jason

==
Jason Schiller
(703)886.6648
Senior Internet Network Engineer
fax:(703)886.0512
Public IP Global Network Engineering
schiller at uu.net
UUNET / Verizon
jason.schiller at verizonbusiness.com

The good news about having an email address that is twice as long is
that it increases traffic on the Internet.

On Fri, 13 Apr 2007, Alexander, Daniel wrote:

> Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2007 14:05:19 -0400
> From: "Alexander, Daniel" <Daniel_Alexander at Cable.Comcast.com>
> To: Iljitsch van Beijnum <iljitsch at muada.com>
> Cc: ppml at arin.net
> Subject: Re: [ppml] Summary of Trial Balloons for Dealing with IPv4
>     AddressCountdown
>
> Iljitsch,
>
> Sorry for the late response, but I am having a hard time keeping up
> with this mailing list. I just wanted to clarify a point you made
> below about one of the allocations. Comcast actaully received that
> address space in three installments over an 18 month period. The first

> was in April of 05, with the last piece of the /8 being allocated in
> 12/06. All ISP, regardless of size, are still bound by the timeframe
> policies in every RIR. The size of any ISP's request can only be for
> what they can justifiably use within a certain timeframe. For the ARIN

> region it is currently six months. So while we ended up with the whole

> /8, we were only given it because we actaully put it to use over a
> now, two year time frame.
>
> The problem with a size restriction is that is doesn't change demand.
> It will only cause ISP to submit more applications, more often with
> the end result being the same. If you use a million IP for your
> customers in a year, the only difference between two applications in
> that year or a dozen, is the amount of administrative work that is
> done to process the apps.
>
> -Dan

IPv6