[ppml] Policy Proposal 2007-1 - Staff Assessment

Kevin Kargel kkargel at polartel.com
Mon Apr 16 10:22:52 EDT 2007

If it is just authentication we are worrying about why  are we talking
about limiting it to one method?  I like the idea of having access to a
method such as 'smtp from' as a fallback.  If you want to make that
stricter you could enforce SPF requirements on the SMTP for that to
work. I am not sure about the SPF as that would place requirements on
the email provider that may be beyond the end users control.

The pgp (or other certificate method) would be simpler for the user once
implemented, and would probably be the method of choice, but there are
times that I am caught away from my normal resources and need to do
"stuff" , where alternate methods come in handy.

I do much like the Thawte Web of Trust (WoT) personal email signatures,
which are easily implemented in current email clients (like the
microsoft variants) and allow authenticated/encrypted email without
needing to add a plugin or run a separate program.  These signatures are
also available for free.  The biggest probem I see with using them is
that they are not USA based and the US centric folks will go zenophobic.

Kevin

$s/worry/happy,g