[ppml] Policy Proposal 2007-1 - Staff Assessment

Martin Hannigan martin.hannigan at batelnet.bs
Mon Apr 16 01:19:28 EDT 2007

> > Perhaps it would be good if somebody at ARIN privately
> > check on if this is possible and report it at at the
> > meeting and list if this can happen or not. This could
> > be crucial for some people in deciding about this
> proposal.
>
> This implies that it is crucial for some people that ARIN
> continues to use the address hostmaster at arin.net and does
> not switch to using some other email address. If this is
> so I would like to hear why the obsolete antiquated term
> "hostmaster" is so important?

Hostmaster implies DNS sysadmin. I'm not sure how, or if,
there
is any relevance to ARIN to specifically utilize hostmaster,
to be
honest. I don't think so.

I wouldn't be horrified if an address other than hostmaster
for offiical
communications. It would seem kind of odd, but only from the
historical
perspective. I do have a problem with having a key removed
from public
key servers through undocumented back channels. I'm not an
expert in
keyserver ops, but being able to make a call and get a key
"fixed" seems
to be an extremely bad idea. I'd appreciate some detail as
to why this
doesn't undermine the web of trust around pgp keys on public
servers and
how it's ok since I don't quite understand how it could be
based on my
existing knowledge.

-M<