[ppml] mail auth proposals, was Re: the "other"...

Martin Hannigan martin.hannigan at batelnet.bs
Mon Apr 9 11:33:10 EDT 2007

----- Original Message -----
From: Edward Lewis <Ed.Lewis at neustar.biz>
To: Leo Bicknell <bicknell at ufp.org>
Cc: ppml at arin.net
Subject: [ppml] mail auth proposals, was Re:  the "other"...
Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2007 09:40:45 -0400

> At 9:01 -0400 4/9/07, Leo Bicknell wrote:
>
> >We need to REMOVE Mail-From entirely.
>
> I like such brash thinking but it seems to take a lot to
> "raise the bar."
>
> To help justify this, I am surprised ARIN records are
> treated  seriously in a legal environment knowing how easy
> it is to falsify  them.  Having gained a legal education
> via watching prime-time TV  police dramas, isn't there
> something about the chain of custody of  evidence?

I'm not a lawyer "IANAL", but I know from experience that
almost
anything goes in civil court. The doubt standard is lower.
"Chain of
evidence" is related to criminal cases, to insure that there
wasn't tampering by law enforcement or others associated
with the
legal system, and to insure that the higher proof standard
is not
tainted by corrupt evidence or people. I think it's
different because
you can lose your liberty as the result of a criminal
proceeding, but
not a civil proceeding. Not a lawyer, never studied law,
never passed
the bar, not a paralegal. Jury Duty.

-M<