[ppml] PPML Digest, Vol 22, Issue 9

michael.dillon at bt.com michael.dillon at bt.com
Sat Apr 7 15:26:22 EDT 2007

> Giving IPv6 allocations to everyone (and setting a far off date before
> IPv6 allocations will cost money) is important because:
>
> 1. Cost. At present, I will have not requested an IPv6 allocation
> because it's only a given that the allocation will remain cost free
> until Dec 31 2007.  Come Dec 31 2008, I *could* end up with a $2250
> invoice on my desk for an IPv6 allocation that is only useful for
> experimentation.  If it's 100% certain that my IPv6 allocation will be
> free for the next 3-5 years, I would have already applied for IPv6
> space.

I strongly disagree with the idea of giving every IPv4 resource holder
an IPv6 allocation/assignment without them asking for it. The registry
needs accurate information about every blocki issued, and you lose the
opportunity to collect that when you issue blocks with no prior
interaction with the recipient.

However, it seems to me that it is a good idea to officially recognize
which IPv6 are being used in various ramp up activities but are not used
in production. It is also a good idea to have a separate fee schedule
for such blocks. Maybe not free, but as long as it is a separate fee
schedule, we can argue the amounts later.

Also, it seems to me that through policy we could specify that there be
a separate fee schedule but we do not have the power to specify amounts.

--Michael Dillon