[ppml] PPML Digest, Vol 22, Issue 9

Iljitsch van Beijnum iljitsch at muada.com
Wed Apr 4 16:16:32 EDT 2007

On 4-apr-2007, at 21:24, Stephen J. Mahler wrote:

> I suggest that the problem is not getting people out of the IPV4
> address
> space,  the problem is getting them into the IPv6 space.

If the latter is your goal, that's certainly a problem. However,
neither is the problem at hand. That would be the simple fact that
somewhere in the first part of the next decade, there won't be enough
IPv4 addresses left to fulfill the requests for IPv4 address space,
if things continue in any way that has a reasonable relationship to
current practice.

> The existing IPV4 address space is a tiny fraction of the IPV6 space.
> Follow the lead of Madison Ave. ... give away samples.  GIVE each
> existing
> address space owner (OK, not really the owner) an upsized chunk of
> the new
> space.  Let the computers handle the application for the space,
> just copy
> the registration information.  Each IPV4 Class C is given a range
> equal in
> size to a IPV4 class B.   Each Class B is given a range equal to a
> current
> Class A.  Each Class A is given a SUPER-A.

Already done: every IPv4 address comes with a /48 worth of IPv6
address space, and a way to use those addresses without having access
to the rest of the IPv6 internet. It's called 6to4.