[ppml] Summary of Trial Balloons for Dealing with IPv4AddressCountdown

David Williamson dlw+arin at tellme.com
Tue Apr 3 17:12:39 EDT 2007

On Tue, Apr 03, 2007 at 01:52:25PM -0700, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:
> By the time the major ISPs in the country - the cable companies, (Comcast,
> etc.)
> and the phone companies (SBC, Cingular, etc) decide to switch their
> subscribers over to IPv6 we probably will have 80% penetration into
> home Internet connectivity.  When you have a couple hundred million
> adults who are running applications and software in their homes that
> is IPv6 then the corporations won't stand a chance.

Neither the users or the applications care if it's IPv4 or IPv6.  It's
completely irrelevant to the vast majority of either group.  Unless
it's software for controlling networking devices or a user like one of
us, the difference is almost irrelevant.

Until there's some good reason for businesses to move to v6, it won't
happen in a global sense.  Sure, the edges may go v6 earlier than much
of the rest, but a 6-to-4 infrastructure negates the need for the
middle to bother with the hastle.

I'll openly admit that the present 6-to-4 infrastructure is, at best,
very poor.  Frankly, I'm not sure that an IPv4 core combined with a v6
edge is any better than a highly NAT'd all v4 world.  Moving everything
to v6 would probably be beneficial to everyone (as a whole), but until
it's beneficial to individuals (and enterprises), I just don't see it
moving quickly.  Your mileage may vary.

We can agree to disagree on this point, if you'd prefer.  I'll let
others chime in, if anyone cares to.

-David