[ppml] ARIN member in good standing?

Jon Lewis jlewis at lewis.org
Thu Sep 28 11:02:46 EDT 2006

On Thu, 28 Sep 2006, Scott Leibrand wrote:

> AFAIK, organizations who have received IP space directly from ARIN (not
> legacy allocations) and don't pay their membership dues get their
> allocations revoked and their whois record removed.  Of course that
> doesn't immediately stop them from using or routing the space, but it
> will prevent them from announcing it to new ISPs, and could eventually
> result in their existing ISPs no longer accepting the space.

Do you have any direct experiences with this?  My experience (with an ARIN
member network we acquired and with a former employer) is that if a member
stops paying ARIN maintenance fees, nothing happens.  The member can't get
more space from ARIN, and if bought, that member's "ARIN assets" are
frozen (can't do transfers) until their account is brought current.

I haven't seen anything to suggest that a member can't get away with
ignoring ARIN's bills if that member doesn't need anything new from ARIN.