[ppml] Metric for rejecting policy proposals: AC candidate question

Michael.Dillon at btradianz.com Michael.Dillon at btradianz.com
Thu Sep 21 04:53:03 EDT 2006

> Personally, I'm disappointed that the AC would reject a policy
> proposal merely because it would be "best" addressed outside the
> public policy process rather than because it's "clearly inappropriate"
> for the public policy process -- the public policy process should at
> least be available as a fallback if the "best" path doesn't work or is
> unacceptable for some reason.

The public policy process *IS* still available as a fallback. I quote:

   If a policy proposal does not receive the support of the
   Advisory Council, the author of the policy proposal may
   elect to use the petition process to advance their proposal.

This is from http://www.arin.net/policy/irpep.html which explains
the ARIN Policy Evaluation Process. In fact, I once successfully
used a petition to advance a policy proposal. So it's not just
theory; it's in the process and it has been exercised.

--Michael Dillon