[ppml] Metric for rejecting policy proposals: AC candidate question

Robert E.Seastrom ppml at rs.seastrom.com
Wed Sep 20 17:56:02 EDT 2006

I agree with both Stacy and Andrew.  Micromanagement of operational
issues via the public policy process is not a desirable outcome;
unnecessarily constrains ARIN staff and if done too often will result
in the NRPM becoming huge and unwieldy.  The AC finding that something
"can best be addressed by the ARIN Board of Trustees" is completely
neutral on the proposal's merits, it's just a suggestion that it is
more operational than policy oriented.

The ACSP is a new thing, which should eliminate much of the need to
use the public policy process to get the attention of ARIN's ops side.
I think this represents a step towards goodness and applaud the
efforts of ARIN staffers to bring it to fruition.

As much as I'd like to put in a suggestion that at least one future
ARIN meeting per year ought to take place in an ARIN region country
other than the US and Canada, I suppose I'll restrain myself...

                                        ---Rob