[ppml] SWIP & A trip down memory lane.

Mark Kosters markk at verisignlabs.com
Fri Sep 8 13:55:04 EDT 2006

On Mon, Aug 14, 2006 at 11:06:24AM +0100, Michael.Dillon at btradianz.com wrote:
> Have you seen this?
> http://www.cctec.com/maillists/nanog/historical/9505/msg00087.html
>
> I believe that is the document that was stored at:
> ftp://rs.internic.net/policy/internic-ip-1.txt
>
> However, this is earlier and provides the names of people
> who were involved at the time. If you recognize any of
> the names, you could direct your question to someone who
> was there ;-)
> http://ftp.univie.ac.at/netinfo/ietf/92jul/swip-minutes-92jul.txt

Wow, reading this was a stroll down memory lane..

The SWIP work came out of an attempt to reconcile data from RIPE and the
DDN NIC back in the '92 period. It did not work out so well as the data
models that RIPE used and what the DDN NIC used were pretty much different at
the time. Reconciliation was difficult and very time consuming. The
format was something that I came up with that worked with lex and yacc as
well as the existing data parsers we had built for other stuff in the
DDN NIC.

As net use started to heat up, reassignment info was way to numerous to use
templates and since we had the parser already, we used that to help isps
report back on their assignment info.

Mark

--

Mark Kosters            markk at verisignlabs.com               VeriSign