[ppml] Multihome Pro Con Document

Howard, W. Lee Lee.Howard at stanleyassociates.com
Sun Oct 15 08:40:20 EDT 2006

Would it be fair, in your opinion, to distinguish three classes of
network that might require multihoming?

End-user networks may require some means of switching from two
types of residential access, but may be generally assumed to have
no more than two simultaneous links, a single prefix, and no need
for traffic engineering.

Enterprise networks need multihoming primarily for reliability,
but may also need some level of best-path selection, and may need
some degree of load distribution.  In IPv6, they will generally
have no more than two prefixes.

ISP networks need lots of peers and lots of knobs for traffic
engineering, load distribution, best-path selection, and ways to
manage routing table bloat.

It seems perfectly reasonable to have a host-based solution for end
users, a feature-rich BGP for ISPs, and for enterprise networks to
choose the solution that fits best.

Your mileage may vary.

Lee