[ppml] Proposed Policy: Changes to IPv6 initial allocation criteria

Andrew Dul andrew.dul at quark.net
Thu Oct 12 10:22:10 EDT 2006

>  Policy statement:
>
>  Delete section 6.5.1.1 d. of NRPM
>
> d:  be an existing, known ISP in the ARIN region or have a plan for making at least 200 /48 assignments to other > organizations within five years.

My main understanding of why this policy might be needed is that some feel that the 200 /48 assignments is an arbitrary requirement.  Some feel that this type of requirement would encourage a smaller LIR to provide false information to ARIN in order to obtain PA address space.

If the problem is with the 200 /48 requirements, I would suggest just striking the words “at least 200” from the policy rather than removing the entire requirement.

I do not think that small ISPs should use the PI address space policy to a bootstrap to getting PA address space later.

Andrew