[ppml] Address Space versus Routing Slots

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Tue May 9 06:34:22 EDT 2006

Point well taken, Tony.  What you say is absolutely true from an
academic perspective.  Permit me to clarify the pragmatic intent
of my statement...

When I referred to Aggregation, I meant prefix-based aggregation
preserving the dual-purpose role of the IP address as both locator
and end system identifier.

I agree that topological locators should be hierarchical.  However,
because of the mobility of end systems, trying to make the
topological locator part of the end system identifier is
inherently prone to compromise in one or both purposes
of said identifier.  This is the problem we face today, and,
while topologic rigidity can create a scalable routing
architecture from a strictly cost of delivering routes
perspective, the collateral costs (renumbering difficulty,
multihoming limitations, protocol complexity, etc.)
involved in doing so are quite high.

Owen