[ppml] Address Space versus Routing Slots

David Conrad drc at virtualized.org
Thu May 4 21:45:47 EDT 2006

On May 4, 2006, at 5:47 PM, Geoff Huston wrote:
>> I'm curious: what do people think will happen when IANA allocates the
>> last unused /8?
> Equally curious folk want to know: Does IANA have a view?

Officially: nope.  Not IANA's job to have views on that particular
issue in my opinion.

>    From the "you show me yours before I show you mine" Department  :-)

I personally have a view, but that's just me.

The reason I asked the question is that it sometimes appears that
folks assume the Internet will grind to a halt when the last v4 /8 is
allocated so we must deploy IPv6 at all costs.  I would be curious to
see what people think.  In particular (and in keeping with the
charter of this mailing list), I would be interested in hearing what
the public policy implications are of events of v4 free space
depletion (at 11:11 GMT Dec 12, 2012 I assume :-)).

Rgds,
-drc
--------
My opinions are my own and do not necessarily represent the
opinions of any organization I may be a part of.  So there.