[ppml] Address Space versus Routing Slots

Kevin Loch kloch at hotnic.net
Thu May 4 20:24:55 EDT 2006

David Conrad wrote:
> I'm curious: what do people think will happen when IANA allocates the
> last unused /8?

I doubt the last /8 will ever be issued. What is interesting is what
happens at the point at when the perception of scarcity becomes
widespread. I expect various forms of hoarding coincident with
restrictive policy changes.  As space runs out a marketplace will almost
certainly emerge, sanctioned or not.

If I had to take a wild guess I'd say that 16 /8's remaining
  would be the psychological threshold for dysfunction to
begin (not counting class D/E which should remain off limits no matter
what).

- Kevin