[ppml] Address Space versus Routing Slots

william(at)elan.net william at elan.net
Thu May 4 10:53:10 EDT 2006

On Thu, 4 May 2006, Michel Py wrote:

> This is very true but it's too late to do something about that, which is
> why I support 2005-1. It's not good, but it's the lesser of two evils.
> Try to be realistic and look what the alternatives are today for
> enterprises that need multihoming and need to deploy IPv6.

I agree with Michael - IPv6 PI is not perfect but we desperately need such
policy to help in adoption of IPv6 in the US - or otherwise we will run
out of ipv4 space before majority are ready.

>> The IETF's position on this matter is that shim6 is the answer. My
>> view, that an ID/LOC split is a fundamental requirement for scalable
>> multi-homing, is considered heretical among the IETF leadership.
>
> Keep in mind that trying to convince me on this is akin to preaching to
> a choir. Ever read draft-py-mhap-intro-00.txt? That's not the point; the
> point is what we can do about it.

If there is enough interest from research and engineering folks then
the thing to do is to form open design group and get the initial
software to test the concept and polish the design. Have that all
available as maintained internet drafts so if/when shim6 fails an
alternative is right there to just take over and make a WG.

>> Is it worth doing an IAB-sponsored experiment, workshop, or
>> other IETF-sanctioned activity along these lines to re-examine
>> GSE or explore other solutions?

The activity need not be "officially IETF-sanctioned" (although that
would be nice), it just that IETF needs to be aware of it and know
that many if not majority of those involves are those also involved
with IETF.

--
William Leibzon
Elan Networks