[ppml] What's in a name? An address allocation would smell as sweet

Houle, Joseph D (Joe), CMO jdhoule at att.com
Thu Mar 23 17:30:20 EST 2006

Mike et al:
   Thanks for the clarification.
   So I guess the counter-proposal to PI addresses, is to consider
organizations inside larger organizations that, if separate, would
qualify as an LIR.  These folks maybe should be considered LIRs from
ARIN.

   Two other points you bring up.
   With IPv6 still not quite ready-for-primetime it may be difficult for
us to see this but... The IPv6 vision is to turn concerns like:
"But if they change ISPs then they must renumber each site",
Into benefits like:
"If they connect to multiple ISPs they have additional address
allocations to use".

   One last thought... These PI proposals (one more than the other) are
not only proposals for PI addresses, but also proposals to perpetuate
the fragmented address space, as suffered today by IPv4, where each
"site" shows up as an entry in the global routing table.

   Are we in North America that ready to abandon the IPv6 visions of
aggregated routing tables and multi-addressing as a multi-homing
mechanism?

Joe Houle