[ppml] proposed updates to 2006-4

Andrew Dul andrew.dul at quark.net
Fri Mar 31 12:38:27 EST 2006

Hello,

As I've discussed this policy, a couple of parts of the existing text may need to be revised.

1. We should reserve a larger block than a /44.  Reserving larger blocks at this point can likely only benefit us in the future as networks grow.  I've proposed updating 2006-4 to a /40 reserved block, but I'm open to discussing larger blocks if people think that is needed.

2. Some people have raised concerns, that the original proposed text would restrict very large networks to only a single /48.  The updated text allows a organization to be assigned at least 1 /48 per assigned ASN.

If you have comments on these two changes, I'd certainly appreciate them.

A copy of the proposed updated text is below.

Thanks,
Andrew

=======================

6.5.8. Direct assignments to end sites

6.5.8.1. To qualify for a direct end site assignment, an organization must:

   1. not be an LIR;
   2. be an end site;
   3. be currently multihomed using IPv4;
   4. have a direct assignment from ARIN of at least a IPv4 /19 and can show the current utilization of 80%
       of an IPv4 /19 equivalent.

6.5.8.2. Direct assignment size to end sites

Organizations that meet the direct end site assignment criteria are eligible to receive a direct assignment of /48 out of a reserved /40.  Organizations with multiple ASNs may be assigned a prefix large enough to permit a /48 to be assigned to each ASN.

Direct Assignments shall be allocated from a separate super-block to allow for LIRs to filter based upon assignment size.

6.5.8.3. Subsequent direct assignments to end sites

Organizations assignment size may be increased by 1 bit (to a maximum of /40) when they demonstrate the active usage of 50% of the assigned /64 subnets or are actively using at least 50% of their /48 per ASN assignments.

Organizations which can demonstrate active usage of more than 50% of /64 networks from a /40 assignment may apply for an additional allocation as an LIR.

Only one direct assignment may be made to an end site organization under Section 6.5.8.